Pocket exists to bring unstoppable, open data to the world. That’s the impact we want to have. The word impact captures the essence of what we are all trying to bring to Pocket and gets us to a simple truth: effort is nice but only sustained impact can see us achieve our grandest ambitions. Do or do not, there is no try.
Anyone creating impact is a Builder and our new governance system uses the term Builder in this way. Builders of the protocol. Builders innovating or experimenting us forward with Sockets. Builders passing proposals that direct funds or change parameters. Each of these builders relies on the other, and like all great open source projects, each builder benefits from the builders before them. We stand on the shoulders of giants.
Proof of Participation has always aspired to recognise the most knowledgeable and impactful members of our community in our governance system. Here, we plan to enshrine the importance of impact and Builders explicitly within the new system.
We propose that different types of impact are recognised within a set of Builder credentials. For this first iteration we propose eight (8) credentials of different values to build a reputational impact score which translates to governance power in the DAO.
The 8 credentials we propose are:
- Protocol Builder - A builder creating impact by having PR’s merged to the Github repos of Morse and Shannon
- Priority Builder - A builder submitting to or delivering on our open priorities (POPs, RFPs)
- Socket Builder - A builder experimenting or pushing forward innovations through the Socket mechanism
- Proposal Builder - A builder who has had a proposal passed or implemented
- Bounty Hunter - A builder completing bounties for Pocket (which will be reinvigorated via Dework)
- Thought Leader - A builder who has attained a Gold or Silver Badge in Discourse through their contributions to our governance discussions
- DAO Scholar - A builder who has completed a Scholarship as set out in PEP31
And lastly the:
- OG Governor - A DAO Voter migrated from the previous system, with the maximum impact score possible in the previous system (10 points = 1 whole vote)
Each credential will have a certain number of points (expressed in the technical specification below) and a Builder can accumulate points across the different Builder credentials up to a maximum of 10 points.
In this way, 10 points becomes 1 vote, creating a proportional representation system within the Builders house.
The total voting power of all Builders can never be more, or less, than 45% of the total voting power of the DAO.
Below are the Credentials we want created for our MVP:
- Protocol Builder - 5 Points (5 Points for Merged PR to Morse or Shannon Repos)
- Priority Builder - 5 points (1 Point Approved Submission, 2 Points Awarded to Winner, 5 Points rewarded on Completion)
- Socket Builder - 2 Points (1 Point Open, 2 Points after 2 Self Reports)
- Proposal Builder - 5 Points (2 Points Passed/Approved, 5 Points Implementation)
- Bounty Hunter - 1 point (Upon completion of bounty payment)
- Thought Leader - 2 points (Discourse Gold/Silver Badge )
- DAO Scholar - 2 Points (Upon completion of Scholarship payments)
- OG Governor - 10 Points (Migrated Voter from previous system)
A Voter can earn as many credentials as their reputation allows for. However, governance power is only awarded up to 10 Points (the equivalent of 1 full vote) and only one credential in each of the 8 categories above can contribute to voting power (that is, you cannot earn 10 points just from bounties (1x2) or Proposals (5x2) or Sockets (2x5) for example).
This logic is for the MVP only and may change in future via the approved metagovernance process to be defined in a future specifications.
The Credentials and how they are recognised:
Evidence: Submitted a response to a POP in the forum
Data Source: POP Discourse Forum Thread
Automated: No. This will be permissioned by PNF
- 1 Point approved Submission to POP/RFP
- 2 Points Winner of POP/RFP
- 5 Points Winner successfully completes POP/RFP (based on final payment release)
Evidence: Open (and maintain) a Socket in the forum
Data Source: Socket Discourse Forum Thread
Automated: No. This will be permissioned by PNF.
- 1 point at Opening of Socket
- 2 points after 2 self reports
Evidence: Funded (Approved) proposal from Snapshot
Data Source: Discourse Forum & Snapshot
Automated: No. This will be requested by the Person and approved by PNF.
- 2 points on Proposal Passing
- 5 Points at Proposal Implementation/Completion (based on parameter change or final payment)
Evidence: Merged PR in whitelisted Github repos for Morse and Shannon (exact repos, how often)
Data Source: Github Repos
Automated: No. (But likely to be automated in future)
- 5 Points (upon successful merge of the PR to the Morse or Shannon Repos)
Evidence: Completed Bounty recorded in Dework
Data Source: Dework tickets
Automated: No (Permissioned by PNF for now)
- 1 point (based on completed payment via Dework)
Evidence: Silver or Gold badge in Discourse
Data Source: Discourse Badges
Automated: No (Possible Discourse integration in future)
- 2 points (based on evidence of badge issuance in Discourse)
Evidence: Completed a Scholarship in the DAO (reference PEP#)
Data Source: Discourse Forum
Automated: No (Manual whitelisting)
Weighting: 1 point
Builder credentials will be issued to a Gateway ID wherever the evidence criteria are met. However, governance power can not be laddered through repeating impact activities in a single area, the simplest example of which is to say you cannot get the maximum 10 points by completing 10 Bounties (1 point each). This requires further iteration and will be defined further within the metagovernance process in a subsequent specification
Builder credentials will be set with an expiration date of 6 months from their issuance. Their power will be set to zero after the expiration date, meaning that credentails only provide governance power for 6 months. In this way we create a dynamic representation system that rewards current and continuing contributions to the network. Further details will be provided in the metagovernance specification.
PNF will build a set of procedures for issuance of the included Builder credentials. They will issue the credentials to the relevant ID or wallet, depending on the type of credential. For example, the Socket Builder credential will be issued to the same wallet included in the Socket Request topic when opening a Socket. We will provide further details before launch to ensure builders know how and when their credentials will be issued