- Author(s): SkillZ team
- Recipient(s): SkillZ team
- Category: Reimbursement
- Fulfills: RFP-8: Node Monitoring Tools
- Related Installments: none
- Asking Amount: 15,000 POKT
We would like to ask the community and the DAO for funds for the development and hosting of the Sand Walker, a POKT rewards calculator with a user-friendly interface.
We open-source, improve and host the Sand Walker, an explorer for POKT rewards based on live data from the blockchain.
15,000 POKT one time payment.
We have chosen to focus on a single aspect of monitoring and provide a definitive answer to “How many POKT did I earn over this period of time?”, answering RFP-8: Node Monitoring Tools.
In the spirit of Node Pilot, we’ve chosen to build an user interface for the POKT Rewards Calculator to lower the barrier of adoption for running POKT nodes by enabling anyone to access aggregated chain data, as a source of truth, to compute rewards for their nodes over a time period of their choosing.
Community members running nodes won’t have to rely on someone technical to get quality information about their operations, no matter which product or method they chose to deploy their nodes, solving a major pain point we’ve observed in the community.
Also in the interest of user experience, we provide hosting for this application. No local install, no CLI needed, anyone can enter node addresses and get information about their rewards; tools & code of the frontend to run your own stack will be open sourced.
The Sand Walker provides a summary of the rewards earned by a node with a monthly breakdown of all rewards with the corresponding block. We developed a frontend for the sake of accessibility, under the hood is a database filled by an instrumented Pocket node that is connected to the blockchain: the data we expose can be traced down to the blockchain.
We’re open to dissenting opinions. We built this because we needed it so we will improve it as we need anyway. If the community finds the POKT Rewards Calculator useful, we are open to opening the code, adding additional features and maintaining it online.
- Current Sand Walker frontend available at: https://sandwalker.sbrk.org/
- Summary of rewards earned by a node,
- By-month breakdown of all rewards with the corresponding block,
- Currently uses a stalled database (with data up to block 24828),
- Mobile-friendly web user interface.
To be delivered:
- Open-source code (MIT ):
- Python/Flask frontend built on top of a SQLite database,
- Fork of a Pocket node with custom instrumentation that fills the database in real-time from the blockchain, there is no weird logic behind the computing of rewards, we directly use the mechanisms of Pocket nodes (this means it will automatically handle incoming DAO changes per block, or tricky logics and corner cases),
- Tools and instructions to run your own stack (currently using docker-compose),
- Features to come:
- JSON/HTTP API that can be used to directly get the history of rewards of a node,
- Ability to query history from a batch of addresses (currently, history can only be browse one address at a time),
- CSV export,
- Mechanism to offer a daily export of the database (SQLite), which will be helpful to anyone who wants to develop tools around, without having to set-up their own stack. This database will contain all rewards from all nodes from block 0 to the current block height at the time of the dump,
- Hosting of the service on SkillZ:
- Publicly available,
- Real-time information from the blockchain,
- Regular updates of the backend to follow Pocket’s changes (to ensure the instrumentation follows Pocket upgrades).
The SkillZ team.
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.