PEP-50: Continuation of Independent Pocket Network Reddit Marketing

Attributes

• Author: @TheDoc
  • Recipient: @TheDoc
  • Category: Allocation of DAO Treasury
  • Asking Amount: $POKT equivalent to $2,350 USD monthly with 3 month time limit (90 days).
    EDIT: On January 30th, 2023, ask increased from initial $2,150 to $2,350. Changes were explained in the post below (link here).

Summary / Abstract

Continuation of Pocket Network content promotion on largest cryptocurrency related subreddits and ensuring highest possible visibility for all the POKT related posts. Subreddits are mostly with 100-500k subscribers.

Motivation

I will not make this proposal too long here because all crucial information hasn’t changed from what was written in detail in the previous PEP-43 proposal, which was approved less than 3 months ago. Besides initial plans from PEP-43 proposal, in the meantime I’ve got connected with POKT community members thanks to Jinx and his POKT community Discord server. This proposal will continue to ensure that valuable POKT news, Tweet mentions, blog posts and other important content achieve as wide reach as possible in front of thousands of laser-targeted audience.

Samples of Previous Work

I’ve shared samples of previous work in the PEP-43 thread in the main post, 1st monthly report and 2nd monthly report. I would like to emphasize here again that I’m open for all the suggestions, ideas and advices from community how to improve the strategy. My DMs are always open.

Budget and Deliverable(s)

Asking amount: $POKT equivalent to $2,350 USD monthly with 3 month time limit (90 days) again same as the PEP-43. Same as the previous PEP-43, monthly payments are being paid at the beginning of the month. It means that for a 90-day limit proposal like this one payments are being done on a day 1, day 31, and day 61, with reports being posted under this proposal after each month. This proposal guarantees at least 5 Reddit promotions each month and top positions achieved with highest possible visibility for these posts. Also, when 1st position is achieved on a certain subreddit, it often ensures that all subscribers receive a mobile notification about that post. Those of you that are actively using Reddit know very well how it looks like. It’s posted in report with screenshot how it looks like.

Contributor(s)

I would be the sole contributor. However, as I said earlier, community is aware of the Reddit posts because they are being posted on Jinx’s POKT community discord. I’m actively following all the events around POKT and I act accordingly with the Reddit promotions.

Report of the work would be done on a monthly basis with all the details under this proposal. Each time there is a post being published, link to the post will be posted on POKT community discord so community members can support the post and engage if they want to.

For any other questions, I’m open for discussion here in public or feel free to send me a DM. Thank you!

1 Like

Would you also be able to post to the Pocket Network subreddit?

I’d start with changing the description: Pocket Network is decentralized infrastructure for developers to build peer to peer applications.

And maybe just repost the Pokt News and Pokt DAO tweets.

Mr. Dubious has posted as an active mod there recently.

I’d support this proposal and would be in favor of even increasing the ask if you can get the subreddit numbers up from 569.

2 Likes

I agree with this, the Pocket Network redit is desolated, only a few people post/answer stuff in there…

2 Likes

Hello @ethen and @RawthiL ,
I’ll see what we can do, but recently I spoke with Jinx and there were issues as subreddit creator is no longer available to get in touch with. But we might be able to regain access with full moderator rights. I’ll post an update about it asap.

2 Likes

I was dubious at first about bringing on a Reddit focused marketer, but having seen The Doc/Ambassador’s work, I think he’s done a great job and I strongly support this proposal.

2 Likes

As suggested in the comments above, I have accepted and received moderator rights on Pocket Network subreddit. After some thoughts, I’ve decided to incorporate 2 new changes to this proposal on top of the initial one:

1. Keeping the Pocket Network subreddit up to date by actively sharing major news, news from PoktNews directly and/or other sources.
  2. Starting the engagement-boosting activities such as POKT tips as the rewards for the engagement on social channels, mostly Reddit. I have already suggested internally to get POKT listed on tip.cc, a chat tipbot which is integrated into Discord so users can send each other POKT easily. Until POKT can be sent this way, I would have to disperse the tips manually. If not through tip.cc tipbot, hopefully through POKT mobile wallet soon.

With these 2 changes, I have increased an ask to $2,350 USD. First post has been edited to reflect these changes.

2 Likes

@JackALaing can you please put this proposal up to a vote?

This proposal is now up for voting Snapshot

3 Likes

A final report from the previous PEP-43 has been published:
LINK to report

1 Like

This proposal passed with 9 yays and 6 nays. Snapshot

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

As I’ve always done during the previous proposal, here is the first report of the PEP-50.
To briefly sum up, previous cycle was mostly focused on pushing the news related to ETH Denver 2023 event, and all the partnerships announced over the past few weeks. Besides that, starting from PEP-50, I took a responsibility to moderate and keep POKT subreddit up to date with the most relevant content and updates happening to Pocket Network. Furthermore, I would like to thank @ethen for providing new Reddit background body image, new banner and new refreshed logo for POKT subreddit. Subreddit was refreshed and enhanced with new design improvements, take a look how it looks like now:

Overall, this month wasn’t as shiny as the last month, it was done intentionally more reserved to retain more ammo for the remaining 2 cycles and point more focus on more significant news and generally more “shareable” news for community outside the existing POKT community. For instance, there are bigger news expected to come out tomorrow that will likely get pushed strong as soon as they come out.

To move onto the core of the report, since the beginning of PEP-50, posts achieved 117k+ post views in total across 5+ different subreddits with relatively high engagement rate (50+ comments). Most significant and technical comments were on EthDev post.

Here are the all the significant posts published since the last report:

Ranked at #1 still standing after 9 hours:

Post achieved 6.5k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 33.1k views:

Next one:

Post was ranked at #1 spot in less than 1 hour:

Post achieved 22.7k views:

Next one:

Post was ranked at #1 spot in less than 2 hours:

Post achieved 6.6k views:

Next one:

Post was still standing at #1 spot after 8 hours:

Post achieved 23.2k views:

Next one:

Post was ranked at #1 spot after 27 minutes only:

Post achieved 3.5k views:

Next one:

Post was standing at #2 after 46 minutes:

Post achieved 22.2k views:
Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 23.09.13

It’s worth noting that there were also other larger posts published, mostly on r/Ethereum subreddit during ETH Denver 2023, but they were removed by moderators after standing for couple of hours at the top and received few thousand views.

What comes next? Putting it in a higher gear and speeding up the promotions starting from tomorrow most likely as soon as the major news come out!

Finally, please note that I’m always entirely open for all the suggestions, improvements and criticism, here or through DM. I’m available most of the day so feel free to ping me anytime. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the update and appreciate the transparency into all the activity - it’s a really good example of working in the open.

One thing I am struggling to see is what impact is being derived from this. I don’t think views or time at #1 are that meaningful to Pocket because the desire should be to convert this to some sort of positive activity for the network. I’m wondering if you can share a bit more about how you think about this question and if there are ways this work in reddit can convert to more engagement, participation or contribution to Pocket?

4 Likes

In agreement with b3n here. Appreciate the thorough update, but I also am having a hard time seeing what sort of traction this is getting.

When I look at the links, there tends to not be that much engagement, and sometimes the comments are less than flattering.

2 Likes

First of all, thank you very much for the feedback. As I already emphasized, I’m open to criticism and suggestions in order to improve what is currently being done, as much as possible.

Regarding measuring the direct impact of such Reddit marketing, it’s true that it’s hard to quantify the impact except in terms of number of views and comments. Issue is similar to what @PoktNews has, the activity and promotions can be ongoing, but ultimately the most tangible metrics remain the number of views and comments. Since situation is like that, I’ve picked a path where these posts are being done in a most efficient fashion, meaning that I’m picking the news which should have the highest value to the crypto community outside our existing POKT community. Last month wasn’t the best month when it comes to such news, there were few partnerships and mostly ETH Denver updates. So, not to spend the budget unwisely for the sake of spending it, I’ve slowed the pace to be able to extend the Reddit activities from current 90 days which was approved and funded, to 120 days or even longer, of course free of cost for the DAO. There aren’t extraordinary news as of right now, but there is a Messari quarterly report coming out in the near future for example, which will be worth promoting and spreading across major crypto subreddits. There are also the upcoming significant v1 status updates, testnet getting closer to release, the IBC integration momentum building, and many other things coming up shortly.

Regarding the engagement, previous month had much more posts ended up having an intensive engagement, but of course it was due to post being more controversial so to speak, check some of them as an example with highest amount of views and engagement: Post 1, Post 2. It’s not the type of post I would like, but it’s what is heating up the masses in crypto. Posts about price hype in most cases end up with significantly higher amount of views and engagement compared to the posts sharing tech achievements and milestones reached.
On the other hand, this month for example had a post that was also somewhat controversial by saying that “POKT v1 is going to help decentralize the web3 space”, which resulted with an extensive discussion: Link to discussion.

Regarding the POKT subreddit, I’ll keep it moderated, fresh and updated, as long DAO support it.
I hope that I’ve addressed key points from the comments above. My DMs are also open for the further discussion, help and suggestions how to proceed further in a more efficient way.

3 Likes

Hi everyone!
I’m pleased to publish another report. First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to those who have been supporting my work and showing appreciation on Telegram and PA Discord. I’m sure these efforts hold significant value and are quite beneficial for everyone involved in POKT to max out POKT visibility among cryptocurrency communities.

Transitioning to the core part of the report now. Several opportunities arose past few weeks to spread worthy information across big and small crypto subreddits. PNI and PNF were publishing many news starting from Q2 which helped and certainly made these efforts more efficient and senseful. Decent mentions of POKT by crypto twitter influencers were above the average as well. Besides all the targeted promotions, I’ve also kept POKTnetwork subreddit active and up to date with the most important project updates.

As has been previously noted by certain DAO members, it’s regrettably difficult to evaluate and quantify the efficacy of social media endeavors such as those conducted on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn, with Reddit being no exception. The most reliable metrics at my disposal are the upvote rate, engagement rate (amount of comments) and the number of views for each Reddit post. Since the last PEP-50 report, posts collectively had 200k+ views across more than 10 distinct subreddits, accompanied by a high engagement rate (an aggregate of 100+ comments). The majority of these posts were standing at the #1 spot for 8 or more hours, with a few posts ensuring even a mobile notification to all the subscribers of the respective subreddit.

In line with the previous experiences, posts such as The Bull Case for POKT experienced lower engagement rate and amount of views, despite concise title. On the other hand, some more controversial posts incorporating “analyst says” phrases had much more views, resulting in a considerably higher engagement rate.

Here you can check and see the significant Reddit posts since the last report:

Post achieved 18.9k views:

Post ensured a mobile notification to 1.4 million subscribers:

Next one:

Post achieved 35.7k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 23.0k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 12.6k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 39.1k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 9.7k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 784 views:

Next one:

Post achieved 28.3k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 638 views:
Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 23.02.08

Next one:

Post achieved 1.1k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 18.2k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 1.1k views:
Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 23.20.41

Lists of other less significant posts since the last report:
[1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6], [7], [8], [9], [10], [11], [12], [13].

What comes next is supporting all the others major news published by PNI and PNF. Tier 1 PR firm is hopefully starting with the work soon so Reddit promotions can support their work and marketing materials.

Finally, please note that I’m always entirely open for all the suggestions, improvements and criticism, here or through DM. Thank you!

4 Likes