PEP-43: Independent Pocket Network Reddit Marketing Budget

Hi,

I’d like to understand more what your KPI’s will be (metrics for success) will be and how you plan to report them out in an unbiased and verifiable manner. Is it getting to the number 1 spot again? And if you, then what? Is the conversion metric you’re tracking? If so, what will it be?

I’d also like to understand why reddit of all platforms? Who is your target market here? I am assuming speculative investors, which is what many of those subreddits are filled with. Is the hope that they’ll buy in, or simply be made-aware of the project?

I also feel like this is a great example of a request in where we can reimburse you for your efforts after you’ve shown success, rather than pay you to perform them, given that PNI has its own Marketing team (irrespective of how you feel about their current success).

These are just my 2 cents.

1 Like

Hi @ArtSabintsev !

Main unbiased measure of success would be the number of hours that post is standing at #1 spot. Its effect cannot be quantified of course, because I cannot guarantee but only speculate that the price increase or significant amount of new users joining POKT Discord or Telegram is associated with Reddit promotion at certain day. So, I’d consider a promotion was very successful if a pro-POKT post is standing at #1 spot in some of the largest cryptocurrency related subreddit for at least 6 hours. That would also trigger a notification on mobile phone to anyone subscribed to that subreddit with enabled notification settings. That itself is quite beneficial I’d say and it’s basically planting a seed. When project is continuously being mentioned somewhere in a positive manner, it will attract significant number of readers to research deeper and invest/involve into the project if they like what they see.
So, reporting would be quite straightforward. Posting a link to the post and screenshots that show how many hours post was standing at the top positions. Those that are active on Telegram or Discord would be able to track the progress and verify it in real time.

Reddit is the platform I use for years and have much experience in how it works. It wouldn’t make sense to offer Facebook or Twitter marketing for example since I’m not actively doing that type of marketing nor have an experience there.
Regarding second part of the paragraph, target market are basically all crypto investors. From my experience, such promotions brought not only speculative and long term investors, but skilled people in various areas such as content writers, web developers, and sometimes but rarely skilled core devs because they are not many of them. Maybe that would work much better by posting on developer subreddits.

I’d rather see this effort and look at it as a way to decentralize marketing. I’d like to have a supportive role to the current makreting department efforts, without losing the freedom to structure the work in the way I know it worked the best in the past. I’m of course open for cooperation with anyone from the POKT team, but most importantly POKT community.

I also lean in favor of reimbursement, given that’s our predominant model in the DAO.

First, thanks for your responses!

We have plans ourselves to do Reddit Marketing and begin spinning up Demand-side marketing once Portal Monetization is in place, which should help balance out the community (e.g., most of the folks on telegram, discord, this forum are Supply-Side folks – node running investors and infrastructure providers).

I think it would be good to chat with @amykellyp and figure out if there’s a way for you to work with PNI-proper to do marketing, rather than go through the DAO for this initiative.

4 Likes

Hi @ArtSabintsev !

I have submitted this proposal because I didn’t get any response from the POKT team on this topic. No offence to anyone, but there were talks about planning to incorporate Reddit Marketing months ago. I spoke with Amy in May this year, but haven’t received a response yet. Time is passing and I think it’s progressing way too slow. That why I went forward and decided to give DAO an option to vote. Someone from the POKT team reached out to me yesterday, so hopefully it will be worked out. Thanks!

4 Likes

First, I truly appreciate your interest not only in POKT, but in also Marketing. I highly welcome, encourage and support any and all Marketing contributors and influencers for all things Pocket. I am grateful for those community members past and present who continue to turn their personal voices and Pocket expertise into a valuable thought leadership presence across social platforms. POKT community is strongest when everyone plays a role, especially when that role is echoing Pocket’s mission, value and successes.

Second, to give a bit of background here, my previous conversation with you regarding your reddit promo offer was that I had just hired a Social Content Creator who was being onboarded end of May and would be responsible for personally executing our social activities, including reddit. Since then and within their first 45 days, a robust social and podcast plan was developed, again including a full organic and paid reddit strategy. This plan is already under way – even beyond reddit. It is extremely important to mention - social media is only one format/channel for inbound/outbound engagement of a broader marketing strategy.

Lastly, it is quite easy to boost upvotes with real users (USD $50 / 200 upvotes / 6-hour / subreddit) to achieve the same outcome your proposal is guaranteeing. Couple that with your expressed uncertainty of, “no exact ROI and hard to measure” success, my preference leans towards data backed high value returns when making marketing investments – or in this case reimbursements which is the predominant model in the DAO. Ideally, measuring success based on accurate attribution that supports a repeatable, predictable and scalable marketing strategy is a proposal for paid influencer marketing I would be in favor of….(and a bonus if it influences paid app stakes.)

2 Likes

Hello @amykellyp and thanks for the response!

I’m happy to hear that there is a Social Content Creator. I think this is highly needed for Pocket. However, I must admit that I haven’t seen any POKT mentions or posts on major cryptocurrency-related subreddits. If there was a mention, it wasn’t nowhere near the top as I’m following the major cryptocurrency subreddits. So, I’d love to see the outcome of these activities and from current paid Reddit strategy (I cannot comment about other social channels as I’m not familiar with them to such extent as with Reddit). I honestly hope it’s much more efficient than what I can offer, because to me as POKT investor as well it matter that POKT gets the attention, promotion and media coverage it deserves. Also, a price action past few months was quite tough for POKT while POKT kept building and is truly an amazing project. That’s why I’m fighting for the best possible POKT Reddit promotion.

Regarding the last part, it’s quite easy to boost the upvotes, but such posts are easily detected and being removed for vote manipulation on almost all subreddits, unless posts are being done and unnaturally upvoted on subreddits such as r/Cryptocurrencies, which almost has no active moderators. I’m pretty much familiar how it works on almost all crypto-related subreddits. As my work is manually being done through upvotes and discussion-engaging comments, it costs much more than random bot upvote boosting tools. I’m happy to continue this conversation here publicly and have the DAO decide about it through voting. I’m quite confident in what I’m saying on this topic as I have a plenty of experience in this specific area.

Thanks!

I find it quite sad that there is no huge Reddit coverage in regards to one of the biggest POKT news this year - a launch of the POKT Portal. It’s a pity to miss such opportunity to grab some attention…

1 Like

I agree. LinkedIn as well

@Jinx Regarding your comment on this topic during Governance Hall today that Reddit proposal as this one should be part of the marketing department…

What should I (or anyone else in similar situation for different matter) do as a Reddit proposal owner in this particular case if current Pocket Network marketing department answers/thinks that this Reddit proposal is not needed because there is already someone hired to do the Reddit marketing. I’m obviously very unsatisfied because I don’t see any activity on Reddit at all. For example, Portal was recently launched and there were literally no mentions about it on any of the cryptocurrency related subreddits. From my point of view, this was a huge loss and missed marketing opportunity. Portal launch was nicely covered and explained by Pocket team on Twitter and Discord for example, but these social channels are targeting existing POKT investors, while Reddit is targeting new investors. Leaving Reddit without proper marketing shouldn’t be happening IMHO so I would definitely like to proceed with this proposal and let the DAO have a vote on it.

Thank you all for the feedback so far!

Hi @JackALaing , it’s been 40 days since I opened this proposal. May I ask you please to put it up officially on a vote?

1 Like

Hey everyone,

First of all, sorry for pinging most of you. But I’m unfortunately not sure who is the right person to ping to move this proposal from a dead point. All the help is appreciated.
I’m not sure why this proposal has not been put on a vote yet. It’s been 45 days since I opened this proposal, and 5 days since I pinged @JackALaing both here and through private messages. Many community members already expressed their opinion about this proposal, some people openly support it, some aren’t, but I personally emphasized a need for this proposal because I believe that the current Reddit Marketing person isn’t doing a job in this area in its full potential let’s phrase it this way. Honestly, I’m not sure who exactly is responsible for Reddit Marketing, but I’m not seeing any mentions of Pocket Network in any way on any of the major cryptocurrency related subreddits.

I would like to get a feedback what is preventing this proposal from going into a voting process, and also if there is something I should change for the proposal to go successfully go live into a voting process.

As communicated in the first post in this thread, this proposal is limited to 3 month period and the asking amount is a POKT equivalent of $2,150 USD per month. I would be reporting the activities and outcome transparently here. Also, I’m open for all the suggestions and critics during the entire cycle in order to fulfill the community wishes about the way of presenting Pocket Network in the best possible light to the wider community that isn’t aware of the Pocket Network yet.

cc: @o_rourke @poktblade @ArtSabintsev @jdaugherty @adam @PoktNews @Ming @JackALaing

Thanks!

Apologies for the delay in responding to your DM, it’s not often I get private messages through the forum.

This proposal is now up for voting Snapshot

2 Likes

This proposal passed with 11 approvals and 4 rejections.

https://gov.pokt.network/#/proposal/0xa7843221a8a9a9a41215869590aee42b678eac247b5bcc5e94a534b714d31ea5

1 Like

Big thanks to everyone who voted in favor of this proposal! I’ll make sure to do my absolute best in Pocket promotion on Reddit.

There is already an ongoing Reddit promotion on subreddit with 1.2 million subscribers. Post is still standing at #2 spot, but it gained some nice amount of views.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

Behind all of us in the crypto space is a very interesting month, mostly because of the FTX drama, but there were many interesting events around Pocket Network as well. Even though most of the media space was fulfilled with SBF and FTX, consequently leaving much less available space for the others, POKT found its time and space to shine. As I’ve promised, I’m writing a monthly report here to the entire community. A report contains every Reddit post that achieved significant result since the moment of proposal approval.

Here are the posts:

32.6k views in total:

Next one:

Standing #1 for 7 hours:

Post achieved 13.6k views:

Next one:

Standing #1 still after 11 hours:

Post achieved 4.4k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 9.9k views after 2 hours only:

Next one:

Post was ranked #1 in less than 1 hour:

Post achieved 43.8k views:

Next one:

Standing #1 still after 12 hours:

Post achieved 3k views:

Nest one:

Ranked #1 after 28 minutes only:

…and still #1 after 12 hours:

Post achieved 29.2k views:

Next one:

Standing at #1 spot for more than 17 hours:

Post achieved 13.3k views:

Next one:

Standing at #1 spot for more than 10 hours:

Post achieved 17.7k views:

For any questions, suggestions, comments, criticism or help, I’m available here, through DM, or on Discord. Feel free to ping me. Thank you very much!

6 Likes

Great update.

Do you think these posts could be even more successful with additional support from the community? If so, what else would be beneficial, and how to deliver it? And as I’m not an active Reddit user, are there any common misconceptions about Pocket that the core marketing team should address? Anything else insights-wise that it would be helpful to know?

Lastly, ad purely for my interest, how would you describe your general strategy for raising awareness for Pocket on Reddit? Is it more reactive to news and the hot debates of the day - eg IP tracking - or something else?

1 Like

Hi Dermot!

First of all, sorry for the slower response. I was busy with the other stuff and a couple marketing opportunities that luckily arose past few days.
Of course, these posts could be even more successful with the additional support from the community. However, have in mind that the community is already supporting these posts, which has been achieved thanks to @Jinx and his awesome initiative! We will be slowly expanding POKT supporters base over time :slight_smile:

As I’ve already said, I’m entirely open for any closer cooperation with Pocket core team directly, but it is not strictly necessary. Most of the time I’m ready to start any promotional activity within few hours once big news get released by the Pocket core marketing team or anyone else publish any major news worth distributing across Reddit as much as possible.

Regarding the last question, general strategy is to be persistent in sharing major Pocket Network achievements, new partnerships, new deals, development achievements mainly in a non-agressive, non-shilling way, but close to neutral tone. This way readers of various crypto-related subreddits will be continuously exposed to a significant Pocket news, creating themselves a picture what is Pocket Network and what it tries to solve. Especially when some very influential pro-POKT tweet comes out, when there’s an obvious need for Pocket Network like during the recent Metamask/Infura IP tracking story, and so on. Promotions are more reactive to news at this moment, but it’s not law it will stay like that. I’m collecting the community feedback and willing to improve this initiative in a way community feels it’s the right way to go. So far feedback that I’ve received is quite positive and supportive to keep the current form going and to stay the current course.

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

Here is the another monthly report of all the significant Reddit posts and activities that happened since last report. I would like to thank everyone from The Poktopus Army that helped supporting these activities, either with a direct engagement or by sharing advices/suggestions/ideas for all the previous and the upcoming activities. I usually cover the most important news from POKT for the entire crypto community outside of POKT community, so this can be used as a nice recap of important mentions of POKT by crypto influencers, articles published about POKT or discussing what’s trendy at certain point of time.

Here are the posts:

Ranked at #1 spot already within 1 hour:

Post achieved 28.4k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 16.5k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot already after 28 minutes only:

Post achieved 32.3k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot within 1 hour:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot after 53 minutes:

Post achieved 29.2k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 still after 4 hours:

Post achieved 3.9k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 still after 4 hours:

Post achieved 8.1k views:

Next one:

Ranked #1 after 2 hours:

Post achieved 5.1k views:

Next one:

Ranked #1 still after 7 hours:

Post achieved 6.6k views:

Next one:

Ranked #1 still after 14 hours:

Post achieved 685 views:

Next one:

Ranked #1 in less than 1 hour:

Post achieved 1.7k views:

Post even ensured a mobile notification for all the 36k subscribers of that subreddit:

Next one:

Post achieved 29.4k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 7.7k views:

For any questions, suggestions, comments, criticism or help, I’m available here, through DM, or on Discord. Feel free to ping me. Thank you very much!

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

3-month period of PEP-43 proposal has came to an end. Having said that, here is the 3rd and final monthly report about the work done in order to successfully conclude this proposal. The new PEP-50 proposal is currently going through a DAO vote so Pocket community will decide about the future of this proposal. So far I’m happy to briefly inform you that the last month was also the most successful month since this proposal started. Last month posts achieved the highest amount of views (350k+ post views in total), ended up with the record high engagement rate (200+ comments) and highest amount of posts pushed on major cryptocurrency related subreddits (20+ posts on various subreddits).

Here are the all the significant posts published since the last report:

Post achieved 12.7k views:

Also, mobile notification for this post was pushed to 680k+ subscribers:

Next one:

Post was standing at #1 spot still after 9 hours:

Post achieved 63.3k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot still after 6 hours:

Post achieved 1.3k views:
1.3k views in total

Next one:

Ranked at #1 still after 7 hours:

Post achieved 38.5k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 32.3k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 2.1k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot after 24 minutes only:

Post achieved 5.1k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot already in less than 1 hour:

Post achieved 8k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot still after 8 hours:

Post achieved 59.9k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot after 5 minutes only:

Post achieved 1.9k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot already after 1 hour:

Post achieved 335 views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 still after 14 hours:

Post achieved 34.7k views:

Next one:

Random post on largest cryptocurrency subreddit:

POKT comment was ranked #1 for very high visibility:

There was even a mobile notification to 5+ million subscribers:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot already after 9 minutes only:

Post achieved 1.9k views:

There was a mobile notification to all subscribers:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot still after 6 hours:

Post achieved 1.6k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot already after 32 minutes only:

Post achieved 25.4k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot still after 13 hours:

Post achieved 4.4k views:

Next one:

Post achieved 1k views:

Next one:

Ranked at #1 spot still after 8 hours:

Post achieved 55.7k views:

For any questions, suggestions, comments, criticism or help, I’m available here, through DM, or on Discord. Feel free to ping me anytime. I hope you’re happy with the work provided and I hope this is not the last report ever I’m making for Reddit promotions. Thank you very much!

4 Likes