CLOSED: The Doc plugs into the Socket to support POKTober on Reddit

This socket comes after receiving an approval and support from some of the key POKT core contributors with a clear goal to support POKTober and all things POKT coming out in the near future.

Scope of Work and Rationale:
Management of the POKT subreddit and management of the POKT’s presence on most significant cryptocurrency-related subreddits. Though this service has previously been successfully approved twice by the DAO, it was intentionally put on hold due to lack of master marketing strategy which has now been brought to the table by the new POKT Head of Marketing (HoM). Perfect time for Reddit reactivation has finally come.

Deliverables:

• Ensuring the POKT subreddit remains up to date with all significant $POKT news.
  • Strategically placing POKT in high-traffic cryptocurrency subreddits in sync with major announcements released by POKT’s Head of Marketing, CryptoTwitter influencers, and other notable contributors. Essentially, this involves wisely packing and broadcasting all news deemed impactful beyond the existing POKT community.

Type of Socket: Experiment. $1.75K in $POKT paid and reviewed monthly, for the life of the experiment (using a 30-day trailing average of $POKT/USD price at time of funding)

I will be self-reporting monthly.

Wallet:
e7aa8960657dd333e2dfc7bf24fd9bcd92f84480

4 Likes

This Socket is now open

3 Likes

Hi @TheDoc you can reach out to me on Discord if you have any design needs while executing this. So I schedule them too and make provisions for them.

Cc: @b3n is this in order? :point_up_2:

4 Likes

Hey @thedoc - feel free to share any updates here so we can see the impact and value you’re adding.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
This is the first report for this Socket of the very active month of #POKTober on Reddit. I’m thrilled to share the significant amount of work being done and directed to the communities outside ours. As an outcome of this Socket, POKT had a strong brand exposure across multiple large crypto communities on Reddit. These activities played a supportive role for all of the PNF’s marketing activities, including Grove updates, and other pro-POKT news. A lot of investors, mostly retail, that aren’t aware about POKT’s existence were introduced this way to the work being done around Pocket and its ecosystem. That itself helps to expand the size of POKT community and raising awareness what we do, who we partner with and what we are going to achieve in the near future.

Data shows that the best performing posts were related to some broader topic that a lot of different projects can relate to. For instance, post talking about DePIN in general had highest engagement rate. In that case, POKT was mentioned in the top comment below the post.

Moving now to the report which covers what has been done past 4 weeks. Most of the Reddit posts were standing at #1 position for more than 12 hours, some of them even 18 hours straight. Here is the list of what was published along with metrics:

Post 1 (14.6k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 1

Post 2 (10.2k views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 2

Post 3 (8.0k views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 3

Post 4 (5.6k views, 0 comments):
LINK TO POST 4

Post 5 (7.9k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 5
cryptomarkets 7.9k

Post 6 (7.2k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 6

Post 7 (4.3k views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 7

Post 8 (3.5k views, 0 comments):
LINK TO POST 8

Post 9 (1.7k views, 9 comments):
LINK TO POST 9

Post 10 (1.5k views, 0 comments):
LINK TO POST 10

Post 11 (912 views, 0 comments):
LINK TO POST 11

Post 12 (608 views, 4 comments):
LINK TO POST 12

Post 13 (712 views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 13
altstreet 712

Post 14 (336 views, 0 comments):
LINK TO POST 14

Post 15 (281 views, 1 comments):
LINK TO POST 15

Post 16 (671 views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 16

Some other posts: POST 17, POST 18, POST 19, POST 20, POST 21, POST 22, POST 23, POST 24, POST 25.

Total posts: 25
Total comments: 50+
Total views: 60k (excluding removed posts)

Note: Due to restrictive, usually unexplainable, rules by certain mods, some posts in largest subreddits such as the post on r/CryptoCurrency (6+ million subs) were active for an hour or two before being removed by mods. They have received significant number of views, but that data cannot be retrieved after the posts has been removed. I took a screenshot of one as an example:

Thank you!

2 Likes

Hey @TheDoc -

I’ve got a couple of follow ups here.

1. Appreciate the links to the posts themselves, but would love to see an aggregate (e.g. spreadsheet) of those so it’s trackable month-month. Is there a spreadsheet or a place w/ total views + comments, or a way to see + measure engagement? Where do you see the #1 position for hours metric? that would be helpful for understanding reach.

2. Are you posting all of these, or pulling them all together to report back to the DAO what is happening on reddit? Are you engaging with any of the posts to increase visibility?

3. How do we read these metrics - and more importantly what do we do with them? I see that DePin gets the most views, should we be commissioning more depin articles to be written?

The there-there of these questions is how do we evaluate the impact vs cost of this Socket for the DAO? My current inclination is that there’s value in being on reddit, but with limited budgets (esp this deep in a bear) is this delivering $1750 in impact month over month?

2 Likes

Hey @TheDoc we’re going to reduce this socket to $500 for the next month, and looking for your guidance on how to measure the impact here before we either revise the socket value or close the socket the following month if we can’t establish that.

2 Likes

Hey @doctorrobinson !

Thanks you for all of you questions. Let me address them one by one.

1. In response to the request for an aggregated list, I have created a spreadsheet that I will update regularly for month-to-month tracking:
    SPREADSHEET

While I was doing Reddit in the past for Pocket, I have also been including screenshots displaying the duration posts remained in the #1 position. Here is an example of such a report: https://forum.pokt.network/t/pep-43-independent-pocket-network-reddit-marketing-budget/3466/26

However, as interest ultimately centered on the total number of views, I concentrated on quantifiable metrics like the total number of posts, views and comments. Posts generally don’t accrue thousands of views unless they have been #1 for several hours. In future reports, I can certainly provide evidence of posts holding the #1 position for X hours. For instance, here’s what it looked like when a post remained at #1 for 13 hours post-publication:

2. I share these posts in the community Discord (Poktopus discord) as soon as they’re submitted, keeping everyone informed for potential upvotes and comments. Additionally, I often tweet about these posts to foster engagement and extend our reach on Twitter with relevant hashtags. I also spend considerable time on Twitter promoting discussion about our Reddit posts.

3. Actually, posts with the most views tend to be those that are controversial or involve other projects or broader topics, just like you said. For example, when a post about DePIN topic was submitted where other projects were able to jump in and comment about their projects, they did it. This method might be the most effective way to ensure high engagement and visibility for pro-POKT comments ranked at #1 position. I’ve avoided this approach because it’s challenging to measure how many people see a specific comment, although I think such approach would be the most beneficial for POKT as a whole. I think this is the best way to be honest. Regarding the last part, there are many DePIN articles that I can reuse for future posts as well, but of course it would be cool to have new ones as well. Posting about broader topics that don’t involve POKT in the post title would certainly be more efficient and they would look less shilling, while at the same time massively increase engagement. A lot of people currently don’t engage because they just read it, they haven’t heard about POKT so far.

As for content creation, it’s difficult to assess its impact or directly link it to price action for an ROI calculation. It’s the same issue @PoktNews has to evaluate the impact and quantify how valuable it is. Since opening this Socket, the POKT price has tripled. How much did this Socket help to achieve it? It is hard or even impossible to say, but sure thing is that thousands of people outside existing POKT community thanks to Reddit promotions have heard about POKT, about POKT and Infura partnership, wPOKT launch event, about Dermot’s interview, also many crypto Twitter influencer posts were posted to use their name and brand to promote POKT on Reddit. Although I’m not closely connected to the Head of Marketing, I’m investing a lot of time and effort to push the news out as soon as they come out in an organized way. I’ve dedicated much time and effort to disseminating news in a timely and organized manner. I’ve paused the Reddit work for months and I have been waiting for the right time to come when enough news would be coming for this effort to be valuable. With the recent influx of significant announcements and more on the horizon, I believe these efforts are critical for reaching the retail market where POKT is not yet well-known. These Reddit promotions are the closest we have to retail marketing for POKT.

We can discuss this further in detail privately. I think the initial ask when Socket was opened had to be higher due to POKTober that required a lot of work and effort. So far November has been a bit more calm, so I would agree to lower the Socket payment down to $1.45k, which I believe is worth it and also not too heavy for the DAO now that the price of POKT started going up significantly. Finally, I’m eager for feedback on how to better demonstrate the value provided by this Socket. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough response here.

We’ve discussed (theDoc & PNF) how to move this socket forward, and have agreed on this month at 1450 based on the views of last month and working to establish some metrics around how to measure and value this work (which is a WIP itself). Working alongside our BHAGs I think reddit presence is valuable and we will evaluate this socket again in the first week of the month.

I’ve created a discord channel for further conversations, but still expect to have the end of month report posted here. The spreadsheet is great, and would prefer to have that updated EOM vs many images + notes, just for ease of review. I’d also really like to have a paragraph of what your takeaway for the month is, where we’re seeing stickiness and how to keep increasing POKTs visibility in the retail market.

Excited to see how this (busy) month shakes out!

2 Likes

Hi Zak, hi everyone!
Here is the 2nd report with screenshots here and the freshly introduced spreadsheet since last month. As always, as an outcome of this Socket, POKT had a strong brand exposure across multiple large crypto communities on Reddit. These activities played a supportive role for all of the PNF’s marketing activities, including Grove updates, and other pro-POKT news (e.g. gateway-verse updates, Shannon development updates, etc.). A lot of investors, mostly retail, that aren’t aware about POKT’s existence were introduced this way to the work being done around Pocket and its ecosystem. That itself helps to expand the size of POKT community and raising awareness what we do, who we partner with and what we are going to achieve in the near future. Price of POKT have multiplied since last month, mostly after Infura speech at Devconnect and Grove fundraise announcement, but these promotions also helped by spreading the word further.

Moving now to the report which covers what has been done since report from October. Most of the Reddit posts were standing at #1 position for more than 12 hours, some of them even 24 hours straight. Here is the list of what was published along with metrics:

Post 1 (9.4k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 1

Post 2 (995 views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 2

Post 3 (15.8k views, 16 comments):
LINK TO POST 3

Post was standing at #1 position for 13+ hours:

Post 4 (10k views, 9 comments):
LINK TO POST 4

Post 5 (Top Comment):
LINK TO POST 5

Post 6 (8.6k views, 1 comments):
LINK TO POST 6

Post was standing at #1 position for 8+ hours:

Post 7 (897 views, 1 comments):
LINK TO POST 7
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 18.44.00

Post 8 (10.1k views, 13 comments):
LINK TO POST 8

Post 9 (1.7k views, 9 comments):
LINK TO POST 9

Post was standing at #1 position for 11+ hours:

Post 10 (964 views, 7 comments):
LINK TO POST 10

Post was standing at #1 position for 24+ hours:

Post 11 (8.1k views, 6 comments):
LINK TO POST 11

Post 12 (469 views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 12

Post 13 (2.4k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 13

Post was standing at #1 position for 20+ hours:

Post 14 (354 views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 14
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 19.10.04

Post was standing at #1 position for 1+ hours:

Post 15 (10700 views, 18 comments):
LINK TO POST 15

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 4 hours:

Post 16 (1500 views, 1 comments):
LINK TO POST 16

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 3 hours:

Post 20 (10500 views, 15 comments):
LINK TO POST 20

Post was standing at #1 position for 12+ hours:

Post 21 (868 views, 1 comments):
LINK TO POST 15
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 18.39.28

Post 22 (281 views, 1 comments):
LINK TO POST 15

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 4 hours:

Total posts: 22
Total comments: 124
Total views: 84k (excluding removed posts)

Discussions about the improvements, changes or modifications related to this Socket will be happening here in Forum or on POKT official discount in a Reddit dedicated channel.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
Here is the 3rd report with screenshots as well as the updated spreadsheet. Again, as an outcome of this Socket, POKT had a strong brand exposure past month across multiple large crypto communities on Reddit. These activities played a supportive role for all of the PNF’s marketing activities as well as the Grove and Nodies updates, and other pro-POKT news. A lot of investors, mostly retail, that aren’t aware about POKT’s existence were introduced this way to the work being done in Pocket and its ecosystem. That itself helps to expand the size of POKT community/investors base and raising awareness what we do, who we partner with and what we are going to achieve in the (near) future.
Again, price of POKT have multiplied since last month, mostly after Andrew Kang tweets which were also shared on Reddit in order to help spreading the word further.

Moving now to the report which covers what has been done since the last report. Most of the Reddit posts were standing at #1 position for more than 12 hours, some of them even 24 hours straight. Here is the list of what was published along with metrics:

Post 1 (9.1k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 1

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 21+ hours:

Post 2 (1.4k views, 6 comments):
LINK TO POST 2

Post was standing at #1 position for 4+ hours:

Post 3 (weekly discussion thread):
LINK TO POST 3 (Thread)

POKT comment standing at the top: LINK TO COMMENT

Post 4 (982 views, 1 comment):
LINK TO POST 4

Post 5 (17.6k views, 10 comments):
LINK TO POST 5

Post was standing at #1 position for 14+ hours:

Post 6 (11.6k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 6

Post was standing at #2 position for 11+ hours (position #2 because Reddit was on fire due to BTC’s 15th birthday):

Post 7 (5k views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 7

Post was standing at #1 position for 9+ hours:

Post 8 (daily discussion thread):
LINK TO POST 8 (Thread)

POKT comment standing at the top: LINK TO COMMENT

Post 9 (1.1k views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 9

Post 10 (22.3k views, 7 comments):
LINK TO POST 10

Post 11 (964 views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 11

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 11 hours:

Post 12 (5.6k views, 5 comments):
LINK TO POST 12
Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 00.15.44

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 8 hours:

Post 13 (692 views, 10 comments):
LINK TO POST 13

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 38min:

Post 14 (6.3k views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 14

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 7+ hours:

Post 15 (1k views, 0 comments):
LINK TO POST 15

Post was standing at #1 position for 24+ hours:

Post 16 (6.2k views, 4 comments):
LINK TO POST 16

Post was standing at #1 position for 9+ hours:

Post 17 (450 views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 17

Post 18 (475 views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 18

Post 19 (3.1k views, 3 comments):
LINK TO POST 19

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 9 hours:

Post 20 (1.5k views, 2 comments):
LINK TO POST 20
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 23.38.52

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 5+ hours:

Post 21 (2.4k views, 8 comments):
LINK TO POST 21

Post was standing at #1 position for at least 20+ hours:

Post 22:
LINK TO POST 22

Total posts: 22
Total comments: 88
Total views: 105k (excluding removed posts)

Discussions about the improvements, changes or modifications related to this Socket will be happening here in Forum or on POKT official Discord in a Reddit dedicated channel.

One of the main ideas is to create unofficial dedicated closed Telegram channel in which invitation of new members would work by recommendation-only. It would help to better organize activities and support on pro-POKT reddit posts which number might grow over time with community support.

Thank you!

3 Likes

This socket remains open for January, and Ben will get you set up on the payment stream next week if you aren’t already.

Appreciate the long post here - seems like we’re getting more visibility month over month, which is great.

Per some convos we’ve had, is there a way we can start to see if people are jumping to our website, discord, tg, etc. from the reddit posts? Do you have links in your bio or in the post to get people to join the community, or buy wPOKT, or something else? Is there a call to action for the eyeballs we get? Buy more $POKT? Is impressions a better metric than views?

There seems to be value in getting more visibility in this space so I’d love to have that discussion around the impact of the 105k views.

We already have (2) unofficial telegrams that @Jinx runs; I personally am feeling a bit stretched with all the comms channels we have from forums to discord to telegram, so i’d much rather use one that already exists if possible. But if you think a closed group would be beneficial I’m in support, I just think it’ll be a bit of an uphill battle vs using some of the hard work Jinx has already put in to get people engaged.

Also working with @thedanrodman around some of the analytics and sentiment might be beneficial - let’s explore that in the call this Thursday.

Speaking of - I’m asking all open Sockets to join us next Thursday for the Builders All-hands. I’d like to encourage people getting paid via the DAO to know what’s going on with the protocol, and have a forum to ask questions and cross pollinate. Matteo will run the first half w/ developers & protocol, and then I’d take the second half to review sockets work. The goal here being more cross-pollination and collaboration, so looking forward to you showing up and sharing on Thursday!

1 Like

Hey @TheDoc - we haven’t had an update for this month, so we’ll be closing this socket down. It would be great to get a report for the month of January as you’ve been paid for the work.

I would consider this experiment a success, and I’d be interested in discussing what next steps would be for this type of retail/guerrilla marketing. When you’re back online, if you can update us on January then let’s figure out what’s next for this work you’re doing.

2 Likes

Hello @doctorrobinson - as I’ve already updated you in DM, I’ll also write it publicly again here. First of all, sorry for not reporting by 1st in the month. Reporting for Reddit work that I’m doing monthly with all the screenshots, proofs for numbers of views for each post, and detailed spreadsheet is a very time-consuming job to properly summarize all the posts that happened throughout the month, but I’ll of course write a detailed report soon. Also, I would like to thank you publicly for great community coordination work and efforts, also to @b3n for all the constructive feedback and support down the road. I agree 100% to close this socket as I believe it’s the right decision to make at this point. I don’t feel it’s necessary to force pushing promotions just for the sake of promoting it. There will be better times to revive these discussions when the right time comes. I’ll still be covering the most important POKT updates on Reddit in the upcoming weeks free of cost, such as new exchange listings, partnership announcements, and other major news. I think it would make sense to discuss again about this Socket during early or mid-May this year, when things become much more clear, when Shannon gets closer to release and bull market heat up much more. Also, I’m open to any other work in the meantime if you’ll need me. I think this grassroots/guerilla marketing activities were a huge success that covered much more than the Reddit work only: I’ve been doing a lot of Twitter activities and also achieved partnership with the largest Balkans crypto YouTuber which resulted with a dedicated POKT review video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JuvDD__a3A&pp=ygUXYmFsa2FuIHRlY2ggY3J5cHRvIHBva3Q%3D

More videos will be coming as POKT will be having major updates in the upcoming months. That’s it for now, I’ll be preparing a detailed report as usual by the end of the week, at latest.

EDIT: Also, huge thanks to @PoktNews for bringing me to do the Reddit work couple months ago when POKT needed all the hype and price-lifting activities on social media!

2 Likes