PUP-22: Further Reduction of Emission Numbers (FREN)

I am fully behind this proposal and look forward to hearing @msa6867’s thoughts on this.

The number of nodes goal has been reached (bootstrapping). We should decrease inflation over time. I believe that a maximum inflation of 25% should urgently be implemented, and decrease by 10% every 6 months or 1 year.
Inflation has caused the price to drop much more than other worthless tokens.
The selling pressure is high because of the pools that have to pay the nodes and the reward that is sold as soon as it is received.
The solution would be to reduce the pressure more and more because of the pools and the inflationary reward.

Hey @Jerry , Hey @hadevil - welcome to the party!!.. but thie ship actually sailed a while ago. FREN has passed and is already implemented. Inflation has already been reduced to ~ 26% and the wheels have been set in motion to reduce to 17% by the end of the year. Talk about seeing your wishes come true with a wave of the wand! lol

1 Like

My reply got approved after a few weeks. I, in fact, voted for FREN to pass .

1 Like

Just came across this gem of a comment. I’ve been saying something similar for a while now. I’d love to see/read what @kjenkins has been working on. I believe this is the most pragmatic way to solve the issue, and should be possible with enough node runners participating.

1 Like

I’d like to discuss moving to a weekly update of the RTTM from the current trialing 30days.

Emissions are up 50% from the target and there are 13 days to go in this month where they could go up even more (seemingly likely).

My thoughts are that if we have a target, we should try to hit it and stay consistent.

If relays continue to grow as we hope, we’ll always be off target, sometimes by considerable amounts if we continue to use trailing 30 days as an indicator. Moving to weekly at least narrows the range we can (usually over) perform.

Inviting my co-authors @msa6867 and @adam to contribute their thoughts.

I’m not against a reworking of emissions similar to how Blade is suggesting. However, I’d like to see the shape of the ecosystem into end of Jan/Feb, with target reduction of daily emissions fully matured and a weekly update to keep RTTM.

My gut feel is that at that point we will be in a pretty good place to understand where rewards need to be headed, either further tweaks to FREN or a system as Blade mentions, or a reduction of RTTM continuously automated per block produced (Vitaly B suggestion).

I am agnostic to weekly vs monthly. As I pointed out in the forum, there is precedence in the April time frame for PNF to update as often as it felt necessary to keep emission inline with WAGMI target; so I think at PNF discretion it can do so again without need of a DAO vote. As I also pointed out, the boost while in active relay growth is good, IMO, and balances out in opposite direction if rewards trail off, as they did over the summer.

It would be good if @kjenkins could share here a more complete version of his thoughts on the cost+ model or whatever it has morphed into…

1 Like