POKT Wallet recovery

Hi everyone,
I am new to Pokt Network and new to this forum. Today I tried creating a Pokt wallet. Upon creation, I saved my key file to my device, and sent my Pokt from my exchange to the wallet. However, my browser did not save the key file, and by the time I went back to the wallet to save the private key, I got locked from the wallet. Now I cannot access my wallet. And my funds are on it.

The only things I have are:

1. Address
  2. Public key
  3. Passphrase

I’ve been searching all day to find a way to recover my wallet. But, I can’t find any way to recover it.
Please help me. I’m a little desperate with the issue. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

Is there a way that my Pokt coins can be recovered. Is there a way the DAO can seize them and have them sent to a new wallet, if proof is submitted?
Or if the wallet has been in active over a long period of time?
I’m sure many others are in a similar situation.
Is there any solution or proposal for this out there?
I have evidence of my IP address, my device ID, the time I created the wallet, and I have proof from my exchange, where I sent my POKT to the wallet address. If not, what will happen to all the lost POKT out there?
I strongly believe in a truly decentralized future.
But not being able to recover your funds is absurd. If I could recommend anything, it would be to have the POKT wallet change the UI when creating an account. Have the new users re-enter their private key, and double check it with them before giving them access to their wallet address, otherwise a lot of new comers to the space will make the same or similar mistake, and will be a very bitter lesson for them.
An example would be like Metamask does or Crypto.com do with their mobile wallets.
Thanks.

So you don’t have the private key or an armored .json that you can export from the web wallet UI? Are you 100% sure? Because, without the private key or armored .json file, unfortunately there isn’t anything that can be done. Unlike putting money in a bank - you (or a person with the private keys) is the only one that has access to funds that are kept on a blockchain. It’s kind of like putting cash in an impenetrable safe and losing the key or password to the safe. The money will remain there but nobody - not even the DAO - will have access to it. Because Pocket is truly decentralized, there really isn’t a central authority that could access your funds and return them as much as I’m sure they’d like to. I hate to put it like that because I know this is a painful lesson and I don’t want to come off as insensitive.

Unfortunately no. I used DuckDuckGo browser on mobile, and it didn’t save the key file, even though the POKT wallet website re-directed me to the next page. When I tried opening another wallet with the Safari web browser on iOS, as an experiment, after I realized what had gone wrong, I did get the key file of that wallet saved.

Thanks for the reply Steve. Don’t worry you’re not insensitive. I’m only wondering if there is a way to recover my funds or wallet. A more thought-out UI, could really solve this problem.

I’m pointing this out so something can be done about it. So, it doesn’t happen to others, especially new-comers to the space.
Once again, thanks.

Really sorry you’re facing this. I wish there was some way I could help further. Also, I appriciate you wanting to help others avoid the same issue.

1 Like