- Author(s): @JackALaing
- Recipient(s): Contributors
- Category: Allocation of Future DAO Revenue
- Related Installments: PIP-8
- Asking Amount: 20% of Future DAO Revenue
At the moment, the only way that Contributors can get paid by the DAO is by submitting grant proposals to fund their work retroactively. This means that contributing to the DAO requires taking on a fair amount of risk and opportunity cost. I believe that distributing a fixed % of future DAO revenue on a monthly basis would provide Contributors with more stability and ultimately engage more Contributors overall. To start with, the distribution of this revenue would be determined by Coordinape.
Provide Contributors with more stability so that more of our community can engage at that deeper level.
- 20% of future DAO revenue would be paid monthly to Contributors. If my math is correct, last month this would have been a total of 221k POKT being distributed.
- The distribution of this monthly payment will be determined by the distribution that Coordinape’s P2P tipping system generates.
- Payments would be made via wPOKT to integrate more seamlessly with Coordinape and minimize transaction bloat on the native Pocket blockchain. This would mean we can’t make payouts until wPOKT live but we will be able to keep a record of how much is due to be paid out and to who.
- Incentive Alignment: by giving Contributors a fixed % of future DAO revenue, we tie Contributor payouts to the number of relays in the network, which alignes everyones incentives around the core objective of growing the network.
- Frictionless Allocation: Coordinape determines payment allocations continuously based on P2P tipping decisions by members of a Coordinape Gift Circle, which will be far more dynamic and frictionless than discrete grant proposals.
- 20% may be considered too much. If people feel this way, we could start with a smaller % and increase it as the number of Contributors increases and the system is tested out.
- Coordinape is easy to use and works out of the box.
- wPOKT is not live yet, so we would need to keep track of monthly distributions until wPOKT is live.
- Start using Coordinape per PIP-8.
- Implement monthly payments when wPOKT is live, with the specific tooling (e.g. Gnosis Safe) depending on whichever is most easy to use in combination with Coordinape.
Copyright and related rights waived via CC0.