Cannot access wallet and need help

I checked and there is also an issue with my private key I write only the beggining of it !
I have only 44 characters but I checked and a normal private key is composed of 128, do you confirm ?

So unless I found the passphrase used I am stucked ?
Nothing can be done with the json file and the beginning of the private key?

Thanks again by advance

1 Like

I’m having difficulty here. I downloaded the keyfile but can’t upload it. I have the address, public key and passphrase. Can you please advise as to next steps?

If you don’t have the full private key, and you don’t have the passphrase to unlock your keyfile, you are locked out of your account. I’m sorry we can’t help more than that, at this point your best course of action is to try to find the passphrase.

You should be able to upload the keyfile. Are you sure that it’s in the correct format (.json)? Please follow the steps in this doc to try importing your keyfile again Buy, Store & Stake POKT - Pocket Network

I’m getting this error: Unsupported state or unable to authenticate data.

What do you advise?

Phuong, DM me on telegram and maybe we can brute force your key file.

Hey Lauren, I’d like to have @blockjoe reach out to you in DMs. Do you mind sharing your Discord or Telegram username?

Jack looks like it was a PICNIC error that resolved and managed to stake! Thank you for your help. Proud to be a part of this community.

Hi Jack. I am getting this error today for the first time. I access my web pokt wallet almost daily to manage my rewards and am clear on my PW, and this is new. I can reach out to someone on Discord or TG to discuss.

Please DM @blockjoe on Discord

For anyone having issues where they can’t access their Key File, I recommend trying to import you key file through Incognito/Private mode in your browser.

Why is my password incorrect? I still have the private key. How should I open my wallet? In the world of blockchain, it is really stupid to remember a 16-digit password with a private key

can you try logging in to your wallet from an Incognito/Private tab depending on your browser?

Hey guys,

I have been foolish and seem to have misunderstood how the wallets work.

I can’t seem to find the file needed - is there a default name I can search for?

I also don’t have a private key.

All I have is the following:

Passphrase

Password

Wallet Address

Public Key

I know we are early but still, it’s a little out of the ordinary, the first wallet I have encountered where I have to save a file, so i have made mistakes. I see I am not the only one too, maybe a rework of the wording and sign up is required.

My fault and if lost then that is a real shame as it’s not an insignificant amount, but my fault for not reading any warnings - which I assume there are?

Any advice or help, or just - don’t bother your funds are lost would be great as I have been titting on with this for far too long.

Many thanks,

Michael

Search for keyfile.json.

It’s unusual to me that you have both a passphrase and a password. Is it possible that you’ve misnamed the private key?

If you don’t have the keyfile or private key, the wallet is lost.

There are multiple hints/warnings when creating the wallet at https://wallet.pokt.network to save the keyfile and private key.

Hey, yeah thanks, I spoke to someone on Telegram and realised all was loist. My fault. As a UI guy there are a lot of improvements you could make to ensure the less attentive of us in this area dont slip up. Less is more. There a lot of similar wordings aligned to various types of crazy looking text strings. Like I say, I need to be more careful , but there are always people who are not that attentive to these sort of details. Just my two penneth and I am slightly annoyed, so take with a pinch.

Great service anyway. Best of luck with it.

I just stumbled across this thread… please do check out PEP-27, it would’ve prevented some of these posts.

1 Like

Nice, thanks. Deff needed. I lost 1850 pokt and had to set up a new wallet. It’s still at the back of my mind whether it is still alright with the new one, even though I have entered a couple of times to make sure.

Current one is what I would call a designed by a dev design, not designed by a designer. You can spot it a mile away.

We’re early, things are getting better every day. Still hurts I have the key to my coins somewhere on my laptop. I’ll deff be signing up for this. Great progress.

Continuing the discussion from Cannot access wallet and need help:

I created a node from zero to node, managed to stake but the node did not earn any rewards, guess the disk storage quickly filled up. I unstaked the node, to increase the memory space and to add more chains.Will take until 19th Juli. For a reason unknown to me I cannot access the node. I can get the validator. I created a wallet during the zero to node process. I assume that the private key for the wallet must be stored somewhere on my computer. The zero to node process was not asking to export the key. Any hint or idea where to find the keyfile or private key? I did not change any files or path or directory names during my first node set up procedure .

Hi @fromhightolow. If you still have access to the computer that was running the node you can do the following:

1. Login to the computer with the user account you setup to run the node (pocket is what was used in the zero to node tutorial).

2. To get the wallet address used for the node, run the following command.

pocket accounts list 

Copy the address you used for the node.

Note: this assumes you just have one address on the node. If you have more than one, you could also use pocket accounts get-validator to get the address tha was used for the node.

3. Using the address from the last step, replace <address> with your address and run the following command to get the private key.

pocket accounts export-raw <address>

You will be prompted for the passphrase that you used when you create the account. Enter your passphrase and you’re private key will get printed out on the screen.

Copy the entire private key and save it someplace safe. You can use the private key to access your wallet from the web wallet. I would suggest testing the private key using the web wallet to ensure you can access your fundes. Then remove the account from the server/node if you’re not planning to continue staking / running nodes.

IMPORTANT Anyone with the private key will have access to your funds so don’t share your private key with anyone.

I hope this helps.

1 Like