Currently, snapshots are taken manually every now and then. Before PNI’s AWS to GCP migration, they used a script to automate the upload of data directory snapshots: GitHub - pokt-foundation/pocket-snapshotter.
As part of our continued decentralisation, we want to support and reward a community contributor to maintain these snapshots.
This Pocket Open Priority (POP) is calling for a team or individual to take on the creation and maintenance of regular mainnet snapshots for Pocket Network protocol.
This is a truly open priority and so submissions should specify the price in POKT for which the service will be provided.
Submissions should express their relevance to the Priority details and competency profile below:
Community maintenance of regular mainnet snapshots
- Upload snapshots of the data directory to the storage account on a weekly basis… Storj is currently used for snapshot storage. Alternative solutions might be considered at the discretion of the protocol team
- Be available to create on-demand snapshots within a 48 hour notice, when they are vital for the Pocket Network (for example, before consensus-breaking releases). This is crucial as having additional backups close to the breaking point is of utmost importance
- In addition to the data directory archive, providing a .torrent file is required to reduce bandwidth fees and speed up snapshot delivery when they are urgently needed. The CDN/Storj HTTP endpoint could function as a “Web Seed” or “HTTP Source” to assist with downloads.
- Maintain ownership and responsibility that the snapshots are in good condition and uploaded regularly.
- Take security very seriously. Managing snapshots is a significant task and presents a potential attack vector.
- Skills: Pocket Network node running, Communication
- Knowledge: Pocket Network protocol, Snapshots, Data directories
- Attitude: Attention to detail, High accountability, Gets shit done
Submission deadline: Close of day 14th June 2023
Submission type: Any format that addresses the requirements and competencies, up to 300 words, and must include price to complete this work denominated in POKT
Decision provided: Close of day 16th June 2023
Price: Open pricing. Please include in submission.
Funding: This priority will be funded by PNF until such time as PEP60 is passed or an alternative arrangement is made or proposed.
Submissions should be posted as replies to this thread with Submission in the first line. Submissions can be edited at any point up until the deadline.