PUP-26: Mitigations for Validator Downtime

Hey @Andy-Liquify, delayed moving this to a vote for now. Aiming for early Jan as a new target. I know we are heading into the holidays so understand if you don’t have time to engage with this right now but wanted to give a little more time for you or other validator operators I’ve contacted to chime in. Cheers!

1 Like

Hey, will this proposal be put into voting soon as it was planned? @jdaugherty

1 Like

Hey @RayBorg thanks for following up on this proposal! Yes, I did intend to circle back on a vote early this year.

Currently I am refactoring the V0 Roadmap. We are considering prioritizing implementing a scaling solution in V0 in anticipation of network growth and Marketplace team 2023 sales prospects/targets.

For now I am leaning toward leaving this proposal up but not moving to a vote until we are confident on when this functionality could be delivered to the network.

Thanks and stay tuned!

1 Like

interesting. is this why the v1 roadmap was extended to september?

How many devs does PNI have on hand and how many will be working on the v0 scaling solution?

And im sure you see it as such that this scaling solution needs to go in pronto before v1 is completed.

2 Likes

Hey @ethen! Good questions, as always :brain:

interesting. is this why the v1 roadmap was extended to september?

The V1 roadmap was extended after I sat down and mapped out planned V1 features for Q1 2023 against expected team capacity. So not related to either this proposal or a scaling solution. This may have been the first time that the timeline was updated since the project started development, when properly estimating such a long time horizon is very difficult. I will continue to update the roadmap on a quarterly basis, when we have organized the priority of feature sets, so we are all informed about any changes in timeline or scope.

How many devs does PNI have on hand and how many will be working on the v0 scaling solution?

There are currently 6 Protocol Developers with 1 FT contributor joining next month. This scaling solution will actually be implemented by the community, although it will take time from both Olshansky and myself to manage. There will be proposals published for the parameter updates and funding the development. Stay tuned!

And im sure you see it as such that this scaling solution needs to go in pronto before v1 is completed.

It’s becoming a bit of a “chicken/egg” problem IMO. I am using sales targets as a guide for this. If they onboard 500mm relays/quarter then breathing room in scale will be extremely desirable.

In addition to trying to balance enabling the network to grow against delivering V1, I am pausing this proposal to determine if it can be part of that scaling release. I was aiming to only have one more consensus breaking release on V0 prior to V1 testnet. That may not be realistic or possible, but I think it might make sense to try and couple the scaling solution with these validator mitigations so I would like to revisit the proposal at that time and put it forward to the DAO as one release.

I hope that adds more context to how I am thinking about this! Feedback is of course welcome. Thanks!

2 Likes