Pre-Proposal - POKTscan Geo-Mesh Reimbursement

For sure it’s helped @bulutcambazi

You should have seen this list before Geo-Mesh. Right now its about 4 pokt between the bottom node operator and the top one. Without Geo-Mesh this list would be 10+ pokt between top and bottom.

And LeanPOKT has helped so much with node running costs that your points about Geo-Mesh making things more expensive are immaterial.

2 Likes
  1. Apps have a max amount of relays per session, that amount is split among the 24 nodes in a session, that say, when those “good nodes” the CP choose first, reach the max amount of relays, they are not able to handle more (by protocol) so, the CP need to move to the next ones that still can reply.
    Without Geo-Mesh, after those “good nodes” on a region, the other nodes are faraway nodes, so with those nodes, the APP will get relays with a higher response time, so that lower the QoS for the applications, at the end of the day those apps are who pay to use this service (Pocket Network)
  2. Geo-Mesh helps the node runners with enough clients/nodes to be competitive against Services like Coder, which was running the same thing as Geo-Mesh but does not share with anyone, so at that moment, they were getting x4 times more relays than anyone else. By the way, that was what alerted us that something was changing on the network.
  3. About the very small node runners is true, they may are not able to handle multiple regions, but they in the close future may have access services like the one @shane is creating. Also, they are always welcome to use the service of any provider to get better results, or even join anyone else and share infrastructure (chains). After all, this is a community, right?
2 Likes

To preface this post – I’m a small time node runner who didn’t implement the major upgrades of the past year (Geomesh and LeanPokt) for various reasons. I’ve had to stay afloat using other measures – playing the validator game, keeping my costs as low as possible, and supporting those chains with a large proportion of relay traffic coming from my specific region.

That said, I am inclined to support this proposal just out of principle – open sourcing a game-changing modification to the protocol to give the whole community the opportunity to use it is something that should be applauded and rewarded. I don’t know whether the ask is appropriate, and would defer to the bigger brains on this. My evidence is also anecdotal, but I do believe that GeoMesh has made it possible for other small time node runners to stay afloat – using a “buddy system” to share chain nodes and investing their sweat equity – and not throw in the towel in favor of a pooling solution or delegating their stake to a large provider. It’s great to advertise having a network of 20+ K RPC servicing nodes worldwide, but if they are ultimately controlled by only a handful of providers who have the economies of scale to stay profitable, that’s just centralization with extra steps.

On a semi-related note, I also find it peculiar that some large node runners who developed an in-house mesh client, and who subsequently sent me numerous advertising emails about how their nodes outperformed the network average, are now stating that an open source version doesn’t help the network. If that is their position, then, in addition to voting against this proposal, they should cease to use their mesh software, and call upon all other node runners to do the same. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander and all that.

11 Likes

Thanks for your words @Misskitty42 . :heart_on_fire:

1 Like

@ Misskitty42 I agree with your principle. I love and support the contributions to the ecosystem. I totally support compensating that aspect, not only to do right by PoktScan team, but also to encourage future contributions. Just not at the amount they ask for.

1 Like

There would be no need of geo mesh if certain large node runners did not use their resources to game the system. Geo Mesh only evens the field, and allows for other small node shops and independent node runners stay in the game. This increases competition and bring node prices down benefiting the ecosystem.

Secondly, we need to absolutely support measures to bring such code enhancements out and regularize the code base. Each node operator specially a large one using a different client that is not open source is a big risk to the stability of the network.

3 Likes

100% agree with this. Requested amount is just way too high.

1 Like

A little late chiming in here but this proposal seems reasonable & fairly priced.

Geo-mesh made Pokt Network able to compete with any centralized node provider at scale in terms of QoS. This took significant engineering effort that had it not been open-sourced, would have left the network lop-sided in many ways.

$80/hr for these kinds of resources is extremely fair. True market value is probably more like $120-$150/hr. This is a deal.The investment by their team was made several months ago, so its not like a money grab here.

This community should be incentivizing MORE of this type of open-sourced development work. This is high quality work done that has had a clear positive impact on the reliability and capability of the network.
This is such an obvious yes vote.

5 Likes